Lap Band Surgery in Melbourne Beach, Florida
Medical obesity is a serious public health threat, not merely an issue of self-esteem or appearance. Today, advances in surgical techniques have made bariatric surgery procedures like the lap sleeve gastrectomy, the gastric bypass and lapband surgery practical options for thousands of patients.
In Melbourne Beach, Dr. Christian Birkedal, MD uses laparoscopic (keyhole) techniques to perform safe and effective stomach surgery for weight loss, including the lap band procedure and lap sleeve gastrectomy surgery.
The Lap Band Procedure
During lap band surgery, a weight loss band is placed around the upper portion of the stomach. After recovery, this weight loss band is inflated and 'squeezes' or constricts the stomach. If necessary, the lap band procedure is reversible via a lap band removal procedure. This is an advantage over other stomach surgery for weight loss options, like the lap sleeve gastrectomy and gastric bypass. Those surgeries cannot be reversed; they permanently alter the stomach.
Lap Band Before And After
After lap band surgery, patients will lose a significant amount of excess weight (up to 50%). Lap band results vary among patients and depend in part on strict adherence to a lap band diet. Patients who significantly reduce food consumption may see improvement in obesity-related diseases like type II diabetes. Difficulty in swallowing and GERD (reflux disease) are common lap band side effects and may require lap band removal.
The Lap Band Vs Gastric Sleeve
The weight loss band or gastric lap band surgery has the advantage of being reversible. Overall, however, laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy and gastric bypass have proven to produce better long-term outcomes for most patients. Each patient and clinical situation is different; only expert evaluation can determine which surgery is best.
Lap Band Surgery Around Florida
Our Services in Melbourne Beach
Dr. Birkedal is a board certified general surgeon. He concentrates on bariatric procedures, including several types of stomach surgery for weight loss. There are several surgical options open to medically obese patients. Lap band surgery, gastric bypass, and laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy are possible alternatives for obese patients. Other general surgery procedures include thyroid, gallbladder, hernia repair and varicose vein treatment.
Appointments and Honors
Our practice offers numerous services to patients throughout the east-central Florida area, including Melbourne Beach.
- Lap band surgery or the lap band procedure (the weight loss band)
- Lap sleeve gastrectomy or the gastric sleeve
- Other stomach surgery for weight loss procedures such as the gastric bypass
- Lap band removal if needed
- Post-surgery services such as lap band diet counseling.
- Lap band cost management: In-office help with determining the cost of lap band surgery and insurance coverage.
- Other general surgery procedures including thyroid surgery, gallbladder surgery, hernia repair and varicose vein treatment.
- Bariatric clinic services offered pre and post surgically for patients undergoing stomach surgery for weight loss.
- Assistance in obtaining insurance coverage for lap band surgery, gastric bypass and lap sleeve gastrectomy.
Stomach Surgery for Weight Loss Criteria
Stomach surgery for weight loss, including the lap band procedure, gastric bypass and lap sleeve gastrectomy are reserved for certain patients. Each case is different, but these requirements generally apply-
- Patient tried and failed on measures like diet, exercise and behavior modification
- Have a BMI of 35 to 40 plus obesity-related disease like type II diabetes.
- Have a BMI (body mass index) of 40 or more with or without comorbidities.
Cost of the Lap Band Procedure
All or part of the cost of stomach surgery for weight loss is covered by many insurance policies. Insurance experts in our office will work with you to determine the out-of-pocket expense (if any) of surgical procedures including lap band surgery and other stomach surgery for weight loss procedures. Insurance coverage will depend on your policy, an insurance company review and the presence of other medical problems.. To contact our office, use this link- Contact Dr Birkedal.
Or phone us at 386-231-3530. Our offices, located in Daytona, New Smyrna and Palm Coast are all part of the Florida Hospital Network.
Published By Axiom Health Care Marketing